Although I’ve technically lived in Squamish for four months, I’m still having trouble calling it home.
We started moving in on April 15, but the first few weeks were spent painting, assembling furniture, and hanging out at Home Depot. Aside from our condo, Home Depot is probably the place I feel most at home in Squamish (fitting, given its name, I suppose).
Shortly after unpacking the last few boxes — wait, that’s a lie, we still have one or two kicking around — I took off for about a month to help with the Woods Canada’s Greatest Explorer campaign.
Then, I was back for less than two weeks before taking off once again for my annual family vacation.
When we finally unlocked our front door this past Tuesday, we remarked that for the first time, it felt like we were coming home — like the space was really ours. And now, I feel like I’m ready to settle in and get to know the community and make it my home, too. Here’s what I’ve got planned so far:
- A volunteer application submitted for the Squamish 50
- A small local road race before the end of the month
- Sincere intentions to get a Squamish Public Library card (I may need to work through the stack of books on my bedside table first)
- Planned family visits so I can show off — and get to know — my new backyard
- A goal of finding a yoga studio that I love as much as I loved Yyoga in Whistler