Impressions of the West Coast Trail … Part II


My boots by Day 4. Just kidding. Photo by Cedric Schell.

(Catch up on Part I of our West Coast Trail trek here!)

Day 3

If there was a day I was dreading, it was Day 3. I’d be obsessively tracking the weather prior to our departure, and every day looked okay except for Day 3, which called for rain, rain, and more rain.

Sure enough, I heard the rain pounding down in the night, and when we woke up in the morning, it was still coming down strong. We used teamwork! to take down the tents in the rain, with three of us holding the fly up as a roof so that the fourth could roll up the tent underneath it, without it getting soaked.


Our Calgarian friends loved reminding us we were on the “Wet” Coast. Photo by Cedric Schell.

The tides worked in our favour today, and hiking in the rain wasn’t so bad when it was along the shores of the Pacific. The waves were angry and a lot of fun to watch. As we made our way down the beach and the sand got softer, the walking got a little harder. I was almost happy to jump into the forest by Tsuquadra Point.


Photo by Cedric Schell

I shouldn’t have been so happy – this section was muddy, muddy, muddy. We encountered (in my opinion) the most challenging part of the trail at this point: a short but steep uphill section so slick with mud, you needed to use ropes to make your way over. Think Shadow trying to climb out of the mud pit in Homeward Bound.


This photo brings back bad memories! Photo by Cedric Schell.

Luckily, things took a turn for the better shortly after. The trail opened up and we discovered we were at the Nitinat Narrows. This is the point where you have to catch a ferry to get across the narrows. A couple from Ottawa was already waiting at the dock when we arrived. They said they’d just missed the previous ferry, so we took off our packs and settled in while we waited. After a quarter of an hour, a man pulled up with a boat. Moments after we took off, someone pointed out a small bear pacing along the shore. We watched as it made its way to the dock we’d stood on moments before. This was my ideal bear sighting: we were close enough to see it really well, but we were also safe from it on the boat and heading to the opposite shore.


This crab knows its fate. Photo by Cedric Schell.

Waiting for us at the opposite shore was the infamous Crab Shack. It was everything I’d ever dreamed of, and more. The crackling wood burning stove was calling my name on this especially damp day. We hung our jackets around it and snuggled up next to the snooziest chocolate lab I’ve ever seen, waiting for our orders to be prepared.


Photo by Cedric Schell.

The three boys ordered crab. At $30 a pop, it seemed expensive, but they noted that Dungeness crab in restaurants is never cheap, and it certainly is never as fresh as this one (which we’d watch the guy kill moments before). My salmon was also $30, but the serving was massive, the fish was fresh, and it came with a big old baked potato. We chatted with the people at the Crab Shack, and they were wonderfully friendly. I sampled the lady behind the counter’s baking (the banana bread and chocolate cookies are fantastic), and we chatted with her four year old son until he fell asleep beside the chocolate lab.


Never better. Photo by Cedric Schell.

High on Omega-3 and donning a bone dry jacket, the section south of Nitinat Narrows felt like walking on sunshine. There was a huge stretch of impeccably maintained boardwalk here – we were practically skipping along it. Apparently, this section used to be notoriously awful. Judging by the state of the boardwalks, they are very new – and very awesome.


The easiest mile on the WCT. Photo by Cedric Schell.

We slowed as we got to the Cheewhat River. A couple was waiting by the side of the suspension bridge. They told us they were waiting to be evacuated. The guy – otherwise appearing to be a fit and healthy dude – had tweaked something in his back and couldn’t bear the weight of the pack, so they had to tap out. That sobered us up a little bit.


Photo by Cedric Schell

From there, it was heads down until we made it to our campsite at Cribs Creek. By the time we arrived, the skies had cleared and you could see the sun trying to poke through the clouds.


Photo by Cedric Schell

It was a long day – arguably our toughest, looking back – but it had been as fun as it had been tough.


Photo by Cedric Schell

Day 4

It was raining when I woke up on the fourth morning. I didn’t like that – the forecast had only called for one day of rain, and we were supposed to be past that.


Photo by Cedric Schell

It turns out that the West Coast Trail doesn’t care about what the forecast says. We’d see spurts of rain a few more times before we finished the trail. It never poured too hard and it never stuck around for more than a few hours. The result was that we were constantly damp, but never soaked*.

*Except for my feet. My feet definitely got soaked.


One of my favourite photos from the trip – by Cedric Schell.

Cribs to Carmanah Point was a breezy walk on the beach. Books and blog posts had tried to spook us about the long climb up from the beach to the Carmanah Lighthouse, but it wasn’t bad in the least. We met a few of the lighthouse fellows up top and had a quick chat with them, then made our way towards the infamous Chez Monique’s.


Photo by Cedric Schell

Monique’s burger was good, but the Nanaimo bar was even better. I picked up a bag of sour keys, which I snacked on as we plodded on along the beach for the rest of the afternoon.


Eye on the prize. Photo not by Cedric Schell.

We caught a couple more cable cars (yaaaaay!) before making it to our fourth campsite at Walbran. You guessed it: another perfect set up right on the ocean. I tried to take a quick swim in Walbran Creek, but it was too cold to fully immerse myself. The boys had better luck.


Photo by Cedric Schell

We’d been leap frogging with two fellows from Calgary the entire trip; it turns out they had the exact same itinerary that we did. They joined us around the campfire that evening and shared some whisky and homemade beef jerky with us. Now that’s how you make friends on the West Coast Trail!


By Night 4, my legs had gotten pretty hairy. Just kidding – that’s Cedric Schell.

Read about days 5, 6, and 7 — the so-called hardest of the hike — here.


3 thoughts on “Impressions of the West Coast Trail … Part II

  1. Pingback: Impressions of the West Coast Trail … Part I – Out of Bounds Squamish

  2. Pingback: Impressions of the West Cost Trail … Part III – Out of Bounds Squamish

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s